EXCEL is a 12-week supervised virtual exercise program for individuals living in rural communities offering 2 group exercise sessions per week led by a trained professional. The program is designed to improve strength, cardio, balance, core stability, and mobility.
Purpose: Researchers from the University of British Columbia and BC Cancer would like to understand how the EXCEL exercise program may help with physical function and exercise behaviour in people living in rural communities who are diagnosed with cancer.
- Have a cancer diagnosis
- 18 years or older
- Be able to participate in mild levels of physical activity
- Have good English comprehension
- Be pre-treatment, or receiving active cancer treatment, or have received cancer treatment within the past three years
- Can participate in a virtual program (e.g. computer/tablet/smartphone with video)
- Live in Rural BC (not Metro Vancouver, Greater Victoria or Kelowna)
For a list of excluded regions, see below.
Direct referrals can be made by email or a patient can self-refer.
For all referrals, please contact:
Natalie Fujisawa (Research Coordinator)
Phone: 604-827-1914 (ask about EXCEL)